One great way to get extra protein in your diet is to make a big pot of beans on the weekend and stretch it out through multiple meals. For instance, you can use them in salads for lunch, tacos for dinner one night and soup the next. Here is my very simple recipe for Hearty Winter Adzuki Beans.
At my local grocery store there are 20 varieties of beans in the bulk section. Have you ever heard of Adzuki beans? In Chinese Medicine, these easily digestible beans are great for strengthening the Qi, Yin and Blood. They are also very high in minerals and vitamins such as antioxidants, potassium, B vitamins, fiber, iron and zinc! I am including a very simple recipe here so that you can see how easy it is to cook these beans. I am making these tonight along with some ground meat for burritos.
Blossom’s Hearty Winter Adzuki Bean Recipe- Serves 8
- 4 cups dried beans
- 2 boxes Imagine Foods organic chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ diced onion
- 1 diced organic yellow or red pepper
- 3 diced cloves garlic
- 6 roma tomatoes cut into small pieces
- 3 small potatoes chopped
- olive oil or coconut oil
- You do not need to soak adzuki beans so just rinse beans in cold water and place in large pot.
- Cover beans with water a good solid two inches. Bring beans to a boil, and then simmer covered for about 60-90 minutes until soft. Set your timer in 20-30 minute increments so you can check on the beans and add more water or broth if needed.
- Combine all of the dry spices in one bowl and prepare the vegetables while the beans cook.
- In the final 30 minutes, add half of the dry spice mix to the beans and gently mix them in. Then, on a separate burner, add oil to a large pan and heat on medium-high. Add the garlic. Cook, stirring frequently 1 minute, or until fragrant. Add the onion, potatoes and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, 3-4 minutes or until softened. Add the rest of the spice mix to the veggies. Gently stir until ingredients are mixed together.
- When beans are just about done, add your veggie mix to the beans and gently stir. Cook for another 5 minutes or so.
- Serve with quinoa and fresh avocado for a complete meal.
Enjoy! For another Adzuki bean recipe, click here.